The Department of Social Services has announced it will provide local governments with up to one third of the costs associated with implementing new Changing Places facilities – accessible toilets – for areas that lack them.
Changing Places are accessible toilets with extra features and more space to meet the needs of people with disability and their carers.
These facilities include:
- A height-adjustable adult-sized change table
- A constant-charging ceiling track hoist system
- A centrally-located peninsula toilet
- More circulation space than standard accessible toilets
- An automatic door with a clear opening of 950mm at minimum
- A privacy screen
This funding can supplement other sources of funding, including the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program and the Growing Regions Program.
Local government applicants are also encouraged to consider including a Changing Places facility in their upcoming community infrastructure plans.
Featured image: The entrance to a Changing Places facility. Image credit: ALGA.